Thursday, March 25, 2010

You be the Judge.

There's a new show on television called "The Marriage Ref."  We might need to give him a call.  This morning my husband announced that he was down to his last pair of underwear.  It's now nearly 3:00 pm, my afternoon and evening are fully scheduled, and I've done nothing to remedy the situation. 

Oops.

Here's the deal.  I want to send my husband out into the world clean and in good working condition each morning.  And, yes, I am familiar with the, "What if you get in an accident" line of thinking.  Still, I've had a busy day preparing for tonight's writer's workshop.  I've been writing, brainstorming, dreaming, planning and thinking.  Laundry just doesn't fit into the theme of the day.  Frankly, I'm not feelin' it.  In an attempt to not sound lazy, I must say that being in a creative zone is when I am my most meditative.  It's when I best work things through and find the most clarity.

So here's the question marriage refs... is it ok to put off menial tasks (laundry) to do more meaningful work (writing)?  How have you spent your day?  Are you busy with the menial or the meaningful?  Jesus addresses this conundrum in the story of the two sisters, Martha and Mary.  In our task driven world he gives us the ok to take a step away from our daily "to do's" and spend time with him.  Perhaps it's ok to step back and take some time for ourselves, too.  So tell me ladies, creative thinking or clean underwear?  You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment